Ski-Joring Rule Sheet - 2011
You may choose to sign up as a Matched Team which automatically requires you to also be in the draw.
You may choose to enter the draw twice after signing up in the Matched Team, depending on number of horse-runs.
- Match Teams are allowed
as follows: Skiers - 1 run, Horses - 1 run, Riders may ride 1 time on different horses if they bring more than 1 horse.
- Draw teams
will be chosen by random draw at registration each day. Match Teams will be drawn at random for position each day along with Draw
Teams. Sport Division is Draw Only.
- Match Teams and Draw Teams will compete for same monies as one race in the Open Division.
are limited to (3) three runs maximum per day.
- Horses cannot 'jump' Divisions.
- Rider may ride any number of times, including twice on
- Riders may ride in different Divisions as long as a different horse is used in each Division.
- Skier may enter more than
once, depending on number of horses.
- Skier may ski behind same horse twice in same day depending on the results of the draw.
- Skier must
use a baton to pick up rings. (Baton & Rope will be furnished)
- Skier must have hold of tow rope across finish, otherwise team is
- Skier must be in control, and in an upright position (No part of skier's body touching the ground), and on at least one ski when
crossing finish line, or team is DQ'd. Both ski tips, and boots must pass over finish line between finish gate markers. Rider must
be on horse when skier crosses finish line or team is DQ'd.
- Both ski tips and boots must go through (around to inside) gate or jump
markers, including finish and start gate, otherwise it is considered missed, and penalties are applied.
- A Skier who "jumps" the start
gate, and does not start the clock will not be allowed a re-run or re-start. Team is DQ'd.
- A skier will be granted one re-start if
he lets go of the tow rope before tripping the start gate.
- Horse and rider have a maximum of (4) four minutes from the time the 'Course
Clear' signal is given from starter to cross the starting line with skier, otherwise team is DQ'd. If rider chooses, they may leave
the start area before the four minutes are up and calm their horse. Rider & skier will be allowed one restart when their name
is called again.
- Substitute riders or skiers for a run will not be allowed for any reason after the Draw has been posted. If a competitor
cannot make the run for any reason, that run (team) is DQ'd.
- Children must race in the Sport Division. Children can not register
for the Open Division.
- All Skiers registering in the Open Class must be pre-qualified to ski in the Leadville Ski-Joring by past experience.
NOTE: Alcohol consumption prior to competition is grounds for disqualification for that competitor, and ultimately that team! (Including
- No refunds of entry fees or Calcutta monies will be given if horse, rider or skier is not able to compete due to injury or
other reasons. This applies to later runs on same day.
- Towrope (furnished) of 33 feet must be 1.) Attached to saddle horn on front
of saddle by braided loop and run on either side of rider. Rope cannot run under the saddle. Or 2.) Attached directly to the primary
rigging rings of the saddle construction with a non-elastic material. Attached within four inches (4") of the cantle (under strain)
Connection of the pull rope to the saddle will be to the centerline of the horse with a carabiner type device.
will be added on to running times as follows:
- Missed Jump (4 Seconds)
- Missed Gate (4 Seconds)
- Missed (or dropped) ring - 2 Seconds
- Dropped baton before finish - 2 Seconds
- Rings knocked off by rider - 2 Seconds per ring
There is no penalty for rope or horse
hitting jump marker or gate marker. Skier will be given credit for rings not in place on standards during his run, i.e. Wind, snowball
from horse, or any other natural cause to make ring fall. NOTE: Rider hitting ring is NOT a natural cause!
Baton must be held in hand,
and not secured to arm or placed under clothing.
Protests must be made immediately following run to Course Director at Finish before
next team has competed.
Come to Leadville to enjoy a great weekend of competition!
Decision of judges is final!